The SEO Matrix is a SEO strategy that I created and have been tweaking over the past 6 months or so. I’ve found it very powerful, since it touches upon all 6 levers to successful SEO strategy.
In fact, in my recent case study, Case of the 300K Site, the only SEO work I did is create 4 SEO Matrices. In this article, I will explain how the SEO Matrix is constructed and why it’s so effective.
Creating a SEO strategy is essentially designing a backlink infrastructure pointing to your site. In designing this infrastructure, there are 2 key buckets of questions to address:
- What are your backlinks? Do you want social bookmarks? Forum links? Blog posts? Article marketing? Similarly, what’s the proper mix?
- How do your backlinks interconnect? Which web properties link to your site? Which link to each other? How many tiers do you have?
The SEO Matrix is a 4 tiered design, with links (I call these vertices) spanning 8 different types of site categories and that randomly interconnect. Here is a diagram to help you visualize the SEO Matrix.
The different coloured boxes indicate different types of web properties. There is a final layer of forum links that comprise the 4th tier. This adds an additional boost of link juice to entire infrastructure, as well as tie the whole network of vertices together. Here are the different types of web properties included:
- Article Directories – The articles I use are relevant. Using a tool I developed, I spin these articles from existing articles I find on the web. This saves me the time and effort of writing my own articles.
- Social Bookmarks – Google loves Social Bookmarks. I have compiled a list of 100 Social Bookmarking sites that you can download.
- Social Networks – Google loves Web 2.0 properties, such as these and social bookmarking sites (above).
- Blogs (both from Blogging Communities and our private network of blogs) — Like my article directory submissions, these contain relevant spun articles.
- Wiki Sites – Spun articles here, same as above!
- Document Sharing Sites – Same as above!
- Microblogs – FYI, microblogs are sites like twitter. Google also likes these, since they fall into that whole web 2.0 category.
- Forum Profiles – These are lower quality links that are only effective in large quantities. That’s why I use this only for the 4th tier for that added boost of link juice distributed downstream across the whole SEO Matrix.
Notice the random interlinking nature among the vertices in the SEO Matrix diagram. This is critical in the design, because it looks more natural and organically constructed. Google has become very good in detecting patterns in SEO tactics. In the past, link wheels, link pyramids, and similarly straightforward designs have been very effective SEO Strategies. This is no longer the case.
There we go, that’s the SEO Matrix in a nutshell. And, it works great! Check out my 300K case study for a living example. I got 21K+ pages indexed by Google in only 3 weeks after creating 4 SEO Matrices.
EDIT – 7/25
I just published a new article Put the SEO on autopilot. This article discusses SEO services you can use to automate the SEO Matrix creation process.